Healthy eyes and perfect vision are one of the most important part of the child development. Their eyes should be examined regularly by a qualified optometrist or a pediatric Ophthalmologist if needed.Many vision related problems and eye diseases could be treated if detected early. Lots of children can’t perform well in the school, sports, and extra curricular activities due to their poor vision. So routine checkup of your child’s vision and correction may upgrade your children’s activities.
|Refraction of a kid|
Routine for Eye exam:
- Newborn should be checked for general eye health.
- High-risk newborns including premature infants, mothers with S.T.D, Family history of eye problems, should be examined as soon as possible after the birth.
- On the first birthday of child, they should be routinely checked.
- After the age of 3years, every child should have their visual acuity test done(ability to differentiate the distance between two points).
- Kids who wear corrective lenses should have an annual Eye checkup.
Spotting Eye problems in children:
- Frequent eye rubbing.
- Poor focusing.
- Chronic redness.
- Whitish or any type of discharge.
- Sensitive to normal room light.
- Abnormal movement of the eyeball.
- Rapid blinking.
- Difficulty reading.
- Sitting too close to the TV.
Some leading causes of childhood blindness:
- Corneal scarring (mainly from Vitamin A deficiency and measles)
- Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)
- Refractive error (Mostly Myopia)
- Low vision
- Congenital glaucoma etc.