What is the meaning of an eye tattoo?
Tattooing done in the eye for the cosmetic purpose or improvement of sight is known as eye tattoo. There are various methods and eye doctors believe this practise must not be done untill and unless the eye is totally damaged and cannot see.
What is a corneal tattoo?
Cornea is the front clear watch glass like structure of the eye. Reasons for corneal tattooing varies from a person to person with the need of time. There are mainly two reasons to tattoo the cornea:
1. The main reason is to tattoo a cornea that is Opacified. Since the scarring of the cornea doesn’t look good on patient, most of them prefer to have a scar tattoo. Keratitis, Corneal opacity or cataract (In a damaged eye while patient is afraid of surgery) are cases where tattooing was practised earlier.
- Corneal Tattooing:
2. According to Many Ophthalmologists, the indication of corneal tattooing is done for visual improvement in following cases i.e. Albinism(Skin disease where patient has white skin), aniridia(absense of colorful part of eyeball), coloboma(by birth defect where eyeball is not formed and colorful part is not formed as well), keratoconus(Front transparent part of the eye is cone shaped).
- Increases vision as it reduces glare and photophobia (Patient cannot see properly in light).
- Is a good method achieving positive report cosmetically.
- It is a difficult and risky procedure where you could go blind.
- The process is not permanent. While incisions cause to happen recurrent corneal abrasions( The top layer the front part of the eye erodes).