Anti-reflective or anti-reflection coating (ARC) also known as Anti-glare lens is an optical coating applied to the surface of the ophthalmic lens to reduce reflection from the lens. We can able to see better from this lens, and spectacle looks better by using these lenses. This lens also gives the best cosmetic appearances.
ARC is just like coatings found on microscopes and lenses used in the camera. These lenses consist of various layers of metal oxides applied to the front and back lens surfaces. Because of the layering effects, anti-reflection coating sometimes has a tint of green, blue or purple color, depending on the manufacturer’s formula. This lens can be best for you if you are looking for the best anti glare glasses for computer use.
Anti-reflective coating reduces both external and internal reflections on the lenses themselves, creating the best cosmetic appearance. Internal reflections from the lens seem like rings that make the lens look thick. External reflections from the lens mask your eyes from a clear, complete view when someone is looking at you.
ARC Lens reduces internal and external reflections and increases the light transmission rate
Advantages of anti-reflection coating (ARC) Lenses
- Getting an anti-reflective coating applied to your lenses is a good selection. The normal plastic lenses generally used in glasses or sunglasses usually transmit only 90% of the available light to the eyes. The remaining 10% of light is often obstructed by reflections on the lenses.
- ARC improve efficiency where light would normally be lost due to reflections. It was originally created to reduce reflections on camera lenses and is now also used to improve the vision of millions of people who wear glasses or sunglasses.
- It makes it easier for glasses or sunglasses wearer to have direct eye contact with another person without his or her view being obstructed by reflection, anti-glare on glasses feature.
- By reducing glare, it makes vision more crisp and clear than would be possible if the lenses were not coated.
- It improves driving safety by allowing drivers to focus on the road without distractions from headlights and streetlights.
- It reduces eyestrain for people who use computers often by decreasing glare from the computer screen.
- It reduces eye fatigue for people who work in offices by lessening overhead glare that can be caused by unnatural lighting often found in offices.
- It enhances the quality of a lens and also lengthens its lifetime by providing durability and resistance to water, dirt, heat, and scratches.
There are different types of anti-reflective coating available in the markets. The best quality anti-reflective coatings are water-resistant because of the hydrophobic layer that prevents water spots development on the lens. This hydrophobic layer also makes it easier to clean lenses without damaging the lens surface.
Another layer of anti-reflective coatings may include is an oleophobic layer. The oleophobic layer makes lenses resistant to the oil that is naturally excreted through your skin or any moisturizers you may wear. This layer also makes it easier to clean smudges off your lenses.
Getting an anti-reflective coating applied to your lenses is a great choice because they reduce reflections on your glasses or sunglasses and improve the durability of your lenses. Additional advantages are less eyestrain, less eye fatigue, better vision, better eye contact, and safer driving. These also work as anti-glare glasses for computer.
How durable is ARC Lens?
The durability of lenses depends upon the quality of the lens, brands and its manufacturing processes. The coating of the lens doesn’t give you any problems for years if the lens quality is good. Some of your daily habits such as cleaning with any clothes, exposed to extremely high or low temperatures such as fire, ice etc, using bad cleaning solutions and rubbing hardly while cleaning the lens can damage the coating and also gives scratches on the lens.
Are you the best candidates for ARC Lenses?
If you work under the following conditions then the ARC lenses are for you.
- If you work a long time on the computer
- Drive regularly on a sunny day (bright sunlight or in night light condition (Difficulty with oncoming traffic lights glare).
Best AR coating Lens Brands and products name available in the USA
Essilor Brand: Crizal Alize, Crizal Avance, Crizal Sapphire 360UV
Hoya: Hi-Vision, Super Hi-Vision with View Protect
Zeiss: Teflon Clear Coat, Carat Advantage
Where to Buy Anti Reflective Coating lens in Nepal?
Almost in all of the optical shop of Nepal, ARC lenses are available.
If you are looking for premium brands lenses from Essilor (Crizal lenses- Anti-Reflective Coating Lens Technology) Zeiss (ZEISS DuraVision Platinum) or Hoya (Anti-Reflective Coatings of Hoya Vision) they are also available in Nepal and India easily, you can visit any nearby opticals or eye care centres.
Anti-reflective glasses and Blue Ray Cut glasses are different, You can also read our articles on Blue Ray Cut Lens.
Price in Nepal: Regular ARC lenses price in Nepal starts from 500-600 per pair.
Price in India: Cheapest brand ARC lenses starts from INR 300 per pair.
The price of Anti-reflective coating lenses is higher in premium brand lenses because they also have additional coating features such as scratch-resistant coating, dust and water repel coating, smudges protection coating, UV protection coating etc.