How to identify if you have Nipah Virus?
How a doctor makes a diagnosis?
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay
- Virus isolation by cell culture.
- Controlling Nipah virus in domestic animals:
- Reducing the risk of infection in people:
Public health educational messages should focus on the following:
- Reducing the risk of bat-to-human transmission:
- Reducing the risk of animal-to-human transmission:
- Reducing the risk of human-to-human transmission:
Controlling infection in health-care settings:
- Health-care workers caring for patients with suspected or confirmed NiV infection, or handling specimens from them, should implement standard infection control precautions for all patients at all times
- As human-to-human transmission in particular nosocomial transmission have been reported, contact and droplet precautions should be used in addition to standard precautions.
- Samples taken from people and animals with suspected NiV infection should be handled by trained staff working in suitably equipped laboratories