Dry eye is one of the most common problems faced by people living in urban settings. It is multi etiological, but the cause is frequently narrowed down to pollution and digital eyestrain.
Various over the counter eye drops and ointments are used to alleviate the symptoms of ocular discomfort and irritation, but the relief is usually temporary. But new researches have emerged that claims including Omega 3 fatty acids in the diet help effectively manage the dry eye condition.
What is Omega-3 fatty acid?
- Men = 1.6 gram
- Women = 1.1g for women
- The requirement is slightly higher for pregnant and lactating women. 
Sources of Omega-3
- Fish and sea food are the most common and richest source of n-3 FA
- Nuts and seeds: flaxseed, chia seeds, walnut, etc
- Oils of canola, soyabean, sunflower
- Other fortified items and pills
Omega−3 fatty acids and dry eyes
1. National Institute of Health. Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Health Professional Fact Sheet.[internet]. USA. Updated Nov 30 2020. Available from [pubmed].
2) Miljanovic et al. Relation between dietary n−3 and n−6 fatty acids and clinically diagnosed dry eye syndrome in women.[internet].The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005 Oct 1[cited 2020 Dec 23]; 82(4): 887-893.[pubmed]
3. Bhargava R et al. Oral omega-3 fatty acids treatment in computer vision syndrome-related dry eye. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2015[cited 2020 Dec 23]; Vol 38:206–10.
4. Bhargava R et al. A randomized controlled trial of omega 3 fatty acids in rosacea patients with dry eye symptoms. Curr Eye Res. 2016[cited 2020 Dec 23];41:1274–80.
5. Bhargava R, Kumar P. Oral omega-3 fatty acid treatment for dry eye in contact lens wearers. Cornea. 2015[cited 2020 Dec 23];34:413–20.
6. The Dry Eye Assessment and Management Study Research Group. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation for treatment of dry eye disease.[internet] N Engl J Med. 2018[cited 2020 Dec 23]; 378(18): 1681–1690.[pubmed]
7. Na Li et al. Resolvin E1 improves tear production and decreases inflammation in a dry eye mouse model.[internet] J OculPharmacolTher. 2010 Oct[cited 2020 Dec 23];26(5):431-9.[pubmed]
8.Litman BJ et al. The role of docosahexaenoic acid containing phospholipids in modulating G protein-coupled signaling pathways: visual transduction. [internet]J MolNeurosci. Apr-Jun 2001;16(2-3):237-42. [pubmed]
9. Spencer L et al. The effect of omega-3 FAs on tumour angiogenesis and their therapeutic potential. [internet]Eur J Cancer. 2009 Aug [cited 2020 Dec 23];45(12):2077-86.[pubmed]
9. Hodge W et al.Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Eye Health: Summary[internet] AHRQ Ev Rep Summ. 2015 [cited 2020 Dec 23] [pubmed]